Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
– Albert Einstein
The Princess Theatre is committed to providing professional-level training to students of all ages. We value the process as much as the performance. We believe that theatre education should be enjoyable as well as instructive for all involved. Our program includes lessons, exercises, and performance opportunities that give students access to their voice, body, imagination, and creativity. Through the use of our carefully assembled curriculum, we hope to foster a deep love of the arts, as well as build a foundation of life skills that will serve our students for years to come.
The Princess Theatre Creative Performance Academy, exists to inspire great theatre experiences for students of all ages from 4 to 94. We aim to encourage and challenge our students to take risks as they discover a variety of creative processes in both classes and performance opportunities. Our passion is to serve Decatur and the surrounding North Alabama region by bringing the power of theatrical training to the thrilling joy of performance. This will be achieved by:
- Producing quality theatrical productions at the end of our Summer Theatre Camps and year-long classes. Our acting and musical theatre camps are performance-based, even though the process is still a focus. Campers perform at the end of camp to take things to the next level. Our classes are more technique or process-based and produce a showcase of skills at the end of the academic year.
- Create opportunities for community participation in workshops and classes.
- Providing at least 1 Teacher Workshop for professional development per year.
- Provide hands-on learning experiences during our Summer Theatre Camps
The Princess Theatre Education Department desires to inspire all artists in all forms and mediums to create a community of local theatre makers and build an effective network of training to funnel to local theatre groups, schools, and eventually the professional world.
We are currently creating a studio space for teaching and learning including converting about 1/3 of our loft space to a teaching studio. We are adding marley flooring to create a safe environment for physical student exploration as well as stocking the loft with toys and tools for studio exploration.
We are committed to keeping costs as low as possible for families and, with the help of the Vivian Turner Estate, local industry, grants from the Alabama State Council on the Arts, from the Alabama State Department of Education and from our individual donors, we are able to offer scholarships and work-study opportunities.
- 100% of your registration fee will be refunded if we are notified of the cancellation prior to the registration deadline.
- 50% of your registration fee will be refunded if we are notified of the cancellation after the registration deadline but prior to the beginning of the first class or first camp class rotation.
- There will be no refunds issued on or after the first class or camp class rotation.
- All refunds will be issued at the discretion of the Directors of Education.
We request that all participants dress in casual, comfortable clothing. Most classes or camps involve some kind of movement, so we recommend casual footwear. Please: no flip-flops.