Reports to: Education Director
Location: 112 2nd Ave. NE, Decatur, Alabama
Position: Part-time, hourly, with potential for growth
Compensation: Commenserate with experience
The Princess Theatre is located in beautiful, quaint and vibrant, historic downtown Decatur. Decatur sits on the Tennessee River in the North Alabama Tennessee Valley.
Position available immediately.
You will be trained and supported in your work by an Education Director, Executive Director, Technical Director and a committed Board of Directors. We support the artistic development of our employees.
To be considered for this position, please submit:
- A professional resume or CV that includes your work with young performers
- A cover letter that speaks to your values with regard to performing arts education
- Pictures, video and/or a website that demonstrates past work
- Three professional references
- Evidence of training as a performing artist and as a teaching artist
- The Teaching Artist(s) (TA) will teach performing arts in schools and or at the Princess Theatre which may be held during or after school hours. They will also help develop and teach during summer training labs, and camps.
- May be required to travel throughout the north Alabama area.
- Works closely with the Co-Directors of Education (DE) to design and implement innovative educational opportunities and programming that align with PTCPA’s overall mission, vision and strategic plan.
- Cultivates and maintains partnerships and relationships within the community including schools, arts and community organizations, parents, teachers and administrators with the goal of developing new and interesting educational programming that supports the overall mission and vision of the theatre.
- Represents PTCPA in the greater educational and arts community.
- Participates in extensive training and professional development.
- Sell tickets, help set up and run events/shows
- Various administrative tasks (e.g. filing, making copies, phone calls, record keeping)
- Help organize, maintain and upgrade the studio classroom space
- Assist with fund raisers, grant reporting and booking
- Experience as a teaching artist or classroom teacher
- Training in Mary Overlie’s Viewpoints, Tectonic Theatre’s Moment Work and Grotowski is a plus
- Experience in developing curriculum, facilitating workshops and training for diverse student populations, implementing assessments and collaborating with teachers
- Ability to articulate the value and importance of theatre education in both school and community settings
- Familiarity with current Educational Theatre best practices
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Excellent writing and research skills
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills including the ability to meet deadlines and anticipate needs
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and to collaborate as a member of a team
- Ability to work under pressure
- 4-year degree in related field, theatre, educational theatre, education is a plus
- High expectations of youth theatre
- Willingness to experiment, push boundaries and reach high
- Proven track record of collaborating in a professional environment
- Valid Driver License and reliable transportation
- Clean FBI record – we e-verify all employees
How to apply
Please send all materials (including an active e-mail address) via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
Princess Theatre Center for the Performing Arts
PO Box 335
Decatur, AL 35602
Deadline for Submission
Until filled. When the position is filled notice will be posted at www.princesstheatre.org.
The Princess Theatre hosts working interns in partnership with the Alabama Center for the Arts. We also work with interns from local highschools, colleges and other organizations. Interns work in many areas at the Princess:
- Graphic Design
- Business Management
- Box Office and Patron Management
- Lighting and Audio
Click here to apply for an internship.